Saturday, September 20, 2008

I had to battle the elements to get this one... This is Norðurlandahúsið or the 'Nordic House', which was built to show Faroese solidarity and common heritage with the other Scandinavian countries - and it's actually pretty cool. The granite on the floor comes from Norway, the chairs are made of Finnish birch, the wooden panels are from Sweden, the glass and steel are Danish, the roof construction is Icelandic, the architects are Norwegian and Icelandic and the turf roof is Faroese. Pretty cool. Although it does look better when it's not getting dark and raining. (The building is much more impressive than it looks here - I'll try to get a good photo in the light.)

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Isn't Mitchenstien 365 going to be full of pictures of Sylvanian Family replica houses for the next few months? If so maybe you could add in an element of suprise... like 'spot the Mariah Carey sticker' in each picture? Just an idea from your uncultured friend x

Mitchenstein said...

I thought about it, I really did, but the Faroe Islands is a pretty small community, and so early in my time here, I don't know if I can face being known as the one who bought the Mariah Carey stickers... I go in that shop all the time (they sell other things too!)

But I've seen Sylvanian Family things for sale here... (I didn't even know they still existed - or do they not?)